Martis Valley Trail is a paved, multi-use recreational trail, that, when fully constructed, will connect the communities of Truckee and Northstar, and ultimately the Lake Tahoe Basin. The 9+ mile trail begins near the southern limits of the town of Truckee, crosses through Martis Valley, and ends near Sawmill Flat Reservoir at a junction with Forest Route 73.
AEC worked with the environmental consultant to complete an equal-weight CEQA analysis of two project alternatives. Multiple resource areas required bridge/boardwalk crossing evaluations to minimize impacts. The EIR was certified in October of 2012, and the project is to be developed in phases as funding allows.
Phase 1 extends from the Truckee town limits to the US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) property boundary and was recently completed in the Fall of 2016. Phase 1 includes multiple resource areas, a boardwalk crossing to limit impacts to a wetland, and provides a wildlife viewing structure to enhance the user’s experience. Services include working with property owners and the USACE for rights to construct the preferred alignment through Martis Valley and additional permitting associated with the wetland crossing.
Services provided by AEC include:
- Ground Control for Aerial Mapping
- Aerial Planimetric and Contour Mapping
- Topographic Surveys/Mapping
- Resource Mapping
- Civil Design and Cost Estimating
- Route Surveys for Alternative Alignments
- Alternative Alignments Impact Evaluation
- Easement Plats and Descriptions
- Historical Properties Evaluation
- NEPA and EIR Support Services
- Stormwater Management and Water Quality Plan
- Public communication/facilitation
- Entitlement Acquisition
- Grant Funding Support